I’m a bit of a worrier. After all, my husband doesn’t call me a “Nervous Nelly” for nothing, and it’s only gotten worse when we had kids.
Prior to moving into our current home, we did a few updates. The biggest was painting. We quite literally painted every single wall and piece of trim in our house. It was a big undertaking — and one, if you’ve read any of my previous posts, that I regret not hiring someone for.
Before we painted, we took down all of the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors so we could paint the walls completely. The other day, to my alarm and complete dismay, I realized we didn’t put back up the carbon monoxide detector.
The Nervous Nelly in me jumped straight into Panicking-Patty mode, and I forced my husband to rehang it as soon as he got home. Carbon monoxide isn’t just scary. It can be deadly.
Consider the following to ensure your safety:
- CO is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It truly is the silent killer.
- CO poisoning can result from faulty furnaces, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in your garage. Make sure to properly maintain all potential CO emitters in your home.
- The danger of CO poisoning rises in the winter. We keep our windows closed, our furnaces up, and the clothes dryers running constantly — especially if you’re a mom!
- Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning include dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness. If someone exhibits signs of CO poisoning, get everyone in the home out into fresh air immediately and call 911 or emergency medical help from a safe location.
- Understand how CO detectors respond to carbon monoxide so you can quickly interpret the alarm and take the next steps to keep you and your family safe from harm.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious. Everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector on each level of his or her home. And that goes double near sleeping areas — within 10 feet to be exact. They should also be installed 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
Follow the manufacturer’s directions on placement and mounting height. For extra safety, you can even program the alarms so that they interconnect so when one alarm goes off, they all do. This would be particularly helpful and safe for when you’re sleeping.
Make sure you take the threat of carbon monoxide seriously!