Around this time of year I get a lot of inquiries about what’s trending in kitchen design, which stands to reason. When you’re remodeling any space in a home, you want it at its most current to get the biggest bang for your buck. Smart technology, neutral palettes, and luxurious simplicity are just a few of the trends you can expect to see in 2016.
Here’s a look at 9 kitchen trends in greater detail:
- Neutral color palettes. Though really a holdover from last year, using a neutral color palette is still a popular trend for kitchens as we move into 2016. Consider starting with white, beige, or even cream, and then balance with accents of black or gray tones to bring a modern elegance to the room.
- Pops of unexpected color. Mixing neutral palettes with pops of color can add a bit more personality to a kitchen while maintaining that modern elegance most homeowners are looking for these days. Where to use those pops of color are entirely up to you, but good places to start might be with an accent wall, backsplash, stools, or appliances.
- Natural materials. Looking for a more rustic, yet elegant look in a kitchen? A trend for 2016 is to mix natural materials and textures, like granite, pebbles, bamboo, wood, or exposed brick, with contemporary designs. By combining the two you actually imbue a great deal of warmth into a modern kitchen.
- Concrete. For those hoping to create a more industrial feel to a kitchen, concrete is going to be big this year. Besides its obvious use for a countertop option, concrete is now being used for walls, columns, and tabletops. It provides the kitchen a much different texture than your more traditional materials, without sacrificing style.
- Metal. Metal is making a huge comeback in 2016, and we’re not talking about stainless steel (though that’s still a staple). What we’re getting at is metal sheets and tiles for the backsplash, metal kitchen hoods, and brass, copper, gold, or chrome accents on some of your most trusted kitchen gadgets and appliances.
- Simplicity. Many designers will tell you today’s luxury is simplicity — at least that’s the case for 2016. What do they mean by simplicity? Minimalist cabinet handles and pulls to keep the focus on other design details, glass elements to reflect and capture natural light, and state-of-the-art appliances that don’t overwhelm the space.
- Technology. Most of us have used technology to look up at least one recipe, but today’s homeowners are now fitting kitchens with mounts to make following directions on those tablets that much easier. If it’s in the budget, you could invest in a tablet made just for the kitchen, like the Almighty Board, which comes with a built-in scale.
- Motion cabinetry. If you really want a modern in a kitchen, another trend for 2016 is motion cabinetry, like motion-sensor sliding cabinet doors or touch-open gliding drawers. There’s also the option for fingerprint security, if you want to protect your prescription medication, alcohol, or even valuables.
- Smart appliances. It was only a matter of time before someone developed a smart oven, and that time is now. You can now purchase a wall-mounted oven with Wi-Fi and app control. That means you can preheat, check the cooking status, or set the timer from anywhere you want…even while at the office.
If you’d like to learn more about any one of these trends, please let us know. We’d be more than happy to meet with you.